Wednesday, January 26, 2011

On second review-- and a glimpse into the future.

Today was a fail-- I went back and checked out the obs and reality is we did get the banding set up as I expected, the temps were just a little too warm, especially the snow growth region ( Between 6-10k feet give or take). I had a mushy inch or so that weighed a ton when I had a snowball fight with my children. ( They are 6, 3 and 2-- so really it was I made them a snowball and they in turn threw it at me)

We did get some much need precipitation-- .90 from the rain/sleet and snow combined. About .40 fell as snow. Sadly, because the temp profiles were a tad warm, we had bad crystal growth and they melted fast into that mush of an inch. I use a tool called bufkit-- which does a vertical view of the clouds that tells what types of flakes are going to fall and how will they accumulate. While not an exact science, its a tool to be listened too-- the best it ran as I tracked this event was 3.8 inches. My belief that it was wrong was wrong-- while it often gave us no accumulation due to a rain snow mix, it did note the poor snow growth.

Adding the hourly report and subtracting half the hour of .20 which had some sleet too gives us  .35  that fell as snow. Tack on the half inch of sleet we had and 4 inches wasn't that far away.


Looking in the Crystal Ball
We are going to remain cold through middle February. I've mentioned a term called a "Sudden Stratospheric Warming" in the past-- while that sounds crazy a simple definition is the Stratosphere (Almost in outer space) suddenly warms and pushes the cold in the Troposphere. ( towards earth)  When these happens, cold outbreaks are not far behind. We are in the midst of one and the cold comes early February.

Snow and storms?? I'm watching an event for Feb 2-3. Track and temps are not yet defined.

Assuming the first 10 days of February are cold-- often cold snaps are ended with larger storms. Feb 10-15 is a random guess. Also, cold flows to allow for "Clippers" little storms from Canada. Most dry up in the mountains or traditionally go to our north, but we could fine one that digs a little more due to large ridge on the west coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment