Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Fast and Furious- My final outlook.



Simulated radar view-- not often we see YELLOW returns for snowfall. 


Having a first grade daughter, I've been watching the schools close today. Likely a good call because although I expect the snow holds off to between 12 and 2 in Lynchburg, any slight change could make this very bad. I do my best to be objective and not hype-- keep track of me on twitter, facebook or this blog. If your school doesn't cancel, and you have the means, get your child home by 1 PM, get yourself off the roads. 4-5 inches isn't a huge amount of snow but 4-5 inches that falls in 2 hours is a huge deal. That's blinding snowfall rates and the roads will be a MESS.  If you can't do that, plan on working late and driving home 7 ish when the road crews have had time to clear things up. I can not stress enough how rough travel will be in that 2pm to 5pm window .If you have friends and family up towards DC to Philly, they are going to get BLITZED with 6-10 inches (local maxes of 12 very possible), most falling in 4-5 hours.

Winds are a little gusty as I type-- coming out the NE at 10 w gusts to 20. Hatteras Light house has winds gusting over 50, inferring the coastal low starting to crank and when the upper air support reaches east of the Appies, this thing really blows up. I've made a new map to show better how this plays out. This is akin to tracking a severe thunderstorm.

final call-- Fast and Furious, best snows fall in 2-3 hours.




No comments:

Post a Comment