Monday, March 25, 2013

Biggest Spring snow in 42 years--

And, a winter review--

Wow, if that storm didn't meet or exceed your expectations you can't place things in proper context.  And, it will be all melted by noon tomorrow.

March 25-26 1971 was the last time Lynchburg had a spring storm of that size. The official total of 6.5 inches  is a little under the 7.3 from 1971, but when we beat a record that is older than ME (turning 40 soon) you need to be impressed.

Such a difficult forecast where I tried to say that if everything went right,we could see 6 inches. How many times has something gone RIGHT this winter for snow? Each event had small challenges and issues that derailed the event--

1. Jan 17 deformation zone forms a bit south compared to modeled and much of Amherst, Bedford and a small sliver of Lynchburg got next to nothing. Sean Sublette in Midtown had 2 inches while Timberlake road had a good 3.5 to 4.5 inches. I put that down as 3.5 but could justify a 4 or even 4.5 honestly.

2. Mid Feb event-- inverted trough that dumps up to 8 inches over parts of Campbell, Appomattox, Charlotte, Buckingham and even into Nelson County. Tricky, tricky event. I drove down Timberlake and it was Covered  with snow from the 460 back entrance near 7/11 and snow free past Lowes. I believe Sean Sublette reported .8 from his house in that neck of the woods.

3. March 5-6- marginal warm temps, early change to snow-- not much backlash. 3-3.5 inches. Didn't feel like that much.

So, this event-- with a bad track record, going more than 1-3 seemed unwise. If you follow me on twitter and FB, I did say 3-5 early afternoon. The overnight went as I expected with 1.5 or so at my place.

Fun event and you may not see this type event, this late in the season for a LONG LONG time.

With that--

My winter outlook--

HERE--
http://lynchburgweather.blogspot.com/2012/11/winter-forecast-12-13.html

I should have included March as I would have went cold (Not this cold, but cold)

Seasonal outlooks are rough because it's part skills, part luck and part luck?? So, I'd say it wasn't my finest outlook (09-10 has that honor) but wasn't bad.

Horrible on December, I'd grade it an F.
I said colder, it was +5.5

Better in January- I said +2 and it was +4.3. January was also very went between 2-3 bigger storms.

Feb-- I just missed a decimal, calling for a -3 and it -.3 :)

No March to grade.

Snowfall-- Climo is 18, range of 13-18 and we have that.

2-4 months were drier than normal- I touched on that.

Temps were warmer than I thought, especially early in the winter. I had banked on colder air and it never showed up-- until march.

I want to give myself a B-, but objectively it's more like a C/C- Getting a snow total close due to a late season 7 inch is more luck than skill.


1 comment:

  1. On a post blog thought--

    This winter started with Sandy dumping a blizzard t our north and west, with Charleston getting 10 inches of snow and we were in the upper 30's with cold drizzle. It ends with Charleston being on the wrong side of the Mountains, they had a Thunderstorm mid evening, and we ended up with 6.5 inches of snow. Those events are 5 months apart-- 5.

    ReplyDelete